How to Start Running: A Beginner's Guide.
Let's get real - it's time to start tackling your resolutions. If you want to be fit this year, but you don't know where to start, here’s a guide to help you kickstart your running goals. Here are 5 pieces of advice that we’ve got for you:
1. Know your why. Simon Sinek, best selling author, who is known for popularizing the concept of "The Golden Circle" and "Start With Why", constantly speaks about the importance of understanding your why. As much as it applies to business, it applies to people. Knowing "your why" keeps you motivated, especially on those days when you can’t seem to leave the couch.
2. Take it easy. No one we know has gone from zero to marathon in one day! Make sure you set achievable goals. You’ll probably have to start from just walking, then jogging, slowly transitioning to running. According to Livestrong.com, interval training might be your best strategy.
3. Make it fun. If you are trying to become a consistent runner, you need to make sure you create a fun, enjoyable running plan - whether it be by the water, on the mountains, or around your neighborhood. You won't continue to run if it's not something you look forward to! Our advice? Make a fun playlist, invite your friends, select your outfit and don’t overdo it. Make sure you associate running with a break in your day, time to clear your mind – not a miserable, exhausting activity.
4. Make it a habit. Yup – you know how it goes! It takes 28 days to create a habit, 28 days to make it stick. Once you've run for several days in a row, it’ll become part of your routine. Once it does, you're most likely not going to stop!
5. Reward yourself. Because well… you deserve it! Set goals for yourself and when you hit those milestones, find ways to reward yourself (don't get too crazy!) so that you can keep achieving new, more challenging goals. It helps you track of your progress and see how far you’ve gone!
Now, go get those running shoes on and get started!